Hair removal at home might sound frightening to many, especially when deciding on whether to do DIY sugaring or attempting to choose the best waxing kit out there. New methods for hair removal are constantly popping up on our radars, but when you think about it, there’s a reason why waxing is one of the most popular ways.
It’s fast, less painful than using an epilator, and simple to use once you get the hang of it. Hair grows back way slower when compared to shaving, which typically lets the hair grow back within a few days for most people.
Wax for the face, biking line, legs, and anywhere else, is also a method of skin exfoliation. It removes dry and dead skin cells, leaving a gorgeous silky-smooth result.
There is no risk of cuts or bruises (I swear nicking your skin on a shaver is way more painful than it should be) and you’ll be stubble-free thanks to the removal of hair from the roots.
That being said, it is crucial to use the most gentle and safe home waxing kits. This will help prevent burning of the skin, which could lead to scars. Spot testing is also super important to ensure you don’t have an allergic reaction.
10 Best Wax for Removing Hair – Canada
Not sure if it’s the best method for you? If you’ve tried every other approach under the sun, waxing yourself could easily become your new go-to.
As a Canadian, home hair wax kits are available by the thousands online, so it can be difficult to find a quality product, we’re here to help. Check out our list of the best picks and say goodbye to your razor or laser hair remover, once and for all.
1. Gigi Student Starter Hair Removal
This one from Gigi is our favorite starter waxing kit for beginners. It’s user-friendly with professional-grade ingredients and design, plus it can be used to remove both fine and thick hairs. You can use it on all areas of the body, from the face to the legs and feet.
Within the kit, you receive 10 petite applicator sticks, 10 small accu-edge sticks, and 20 small natural muslin strips for eyebrows, lip, chin, and Brazilian epilation. For the larger areas of your body, 10 large accu-edge applicators plus 10 large muslin strips are also included. We love that you can do your entire body with just one kit.
The wax warmer has a simple design making it easy to use. You’ve got a removable transparent lid, adjustable temperature control, light indicators, and it holds 226g and 396g waxes (it comes with 396g already).
One of the key ingredients in the universal Honee formula is real honey extract, which moisturizes the skin leaving it softer afterwards. Plus, the natural fibres of the muslin create maximum absorption. This means that more hair will be taken out after just one strip.
The rest of the ingredients consists of soothing olive oil for hydration, and soybean oil to protect the skin. With the natural elements, it’s quite gentle which makes it easier to use for first timers.
- Heats in Under 30 Minutes with Adjustable Temperature
- Full-Body Waxing with Different Sized Applicators & Natural Muslin Strips
- 4 Pre & Post Waxing Treatments
- Gentle All-Purpose Honee Wax with Natural Ingredients
2. Satin Smooth Aloe Vera Pot Wax
Ideal for fine and medium hair thicknesses, this is dermatologist tested and infused with soothing aloe and vitamin E ingredients. Vitamin E has healing properties, which can help to repair and heal to prevent scars or burning.
Alongside these main components, it’s formulated with titanium dioxide. This creates a natural buffer against the skin, so there is no need to use talcum or baby powder beforehand. Propolis is another element. It’s a natural botanical matter that further contributes to a smooth and gentle experience.
Since it’s a fully aluminium pot, you can use it straight on a wax warmer plate, or in a Satin Smooth warmer, instead of needing to transfer it into a separate warmer. The aloe wax with vitamin E is a soft crème, so it needs additional strips in order to use.
There are some hard versions available from the same brand, which don’t require strips. It’s suitable for dry, sensitive, mature, or normal skin, due to its gentle properties. This means it shouldn’t cause skin irritation, as aloe also has cooling properties.
- Soothing & Gentle Aloe Vera with Vitamin E Softens Hair Shaft
- Aluminium Pot & Base to Conveniently Use on a Warming Plate
- Titanium Dioxide Eliminates Need for Pre-Powdering
- Suitable for All-Body Use on Fine to Medium Hairs
3. Satin Smooth Professional Single Wax Warmer
From the same Satin Smooth brand, this is a warmer that can fit a single pot for independent warming. As well as a pot, you can put beads or pebbles inside, so it’s compatible with both soft and hard waxes up to 396g. It heats up in just under 30 minutes, so you don’t need to be waiting around for hours whilst everything softens.
I love the all-white design with light purple accents, as it gives a sophisticated and simple look. In terms of the controls, first is the front temp dial. It has 3 settings – standby, ready, and hot.
“Standby” keeps the contents melted while you might be setting things up, the “ready” setting is kept throughout the waxing process, and “hot” is used at the beginning for softening and can be used continuously if the contents start to harden.
A silicon covered power switch keeps things clean, and a rubber base ensures nothing is sliding around. The lid is conveniently detachable, so it won’t get in the way, plus you’ve got 2 protective collars so that the lid doesn’t get sticky with build-up. When the lid is on, it has a highly secure fit which ensures that heat can’t escape, or cool air can’t get in.
- Professional Warmer with 30-min Heat-Up Time
- Temperature Control Knob & Non-Slip Rubber Feet
- Dimensions: 7.88” (L) x 8.25” (W) x 5.5” (H)
- Holds up to 396g of Soft or Hard Wax
4. RioRand Wax Warmer Hair Removal Kit
Including 4 different infused beans, this kit from RioRand has a 500ml capacity with a removable bowl for easy cleaning. To use, the process is effortless like most regular warmers.
After placing the wax inside the inner bowl, you can lift it by its handle, pop it straight into the warmer, and put the lid on top to begin the melting process. A front knob controls your heating options ranging from medium to high. There is also an automatic stop and start function for safety.
10 applicator sticks are included for easy application. There is no size specification, but they look quite thin so you may want to use bigger sticks for larger areas of the body. I think you could use the supplied applicators for the face and smaller crevices.
With a transparent purple cover, you can watch as the insides melt, plus it has 3 holes which create ventilation. The inner chamber is protected by a metal liner that can withstand high temperatures, adding to its lifespan.
The beans that are included are all hard wax, so fabric strips aren’t required. I like that you have the option to use soft or hard, as you can try out each one and see which you prefer. You could also try each type for different parts of the body, as long as you clean it out between each one of course.
- Compatible with Soft & Hard Waxes for Full-Body
- See-Through Lid to Monitor Melting Process
- Measures 5.3” Tall & 7.09” Wide
- Includes 10 Sticks Plus Chamomile, Rose, Tea, & Lavender Infused Beans
5. Gigi Brazilian Waxing Kit
Next up is another kit from Gigi, but this one is made specifically for a full Brazilian. That being said, it can also be used for your head to your toes. Much like the previous kit from the same brand, the ingredients contain olive oil and soybean oil for moisturisation and hydration. This also makes it milder, which is why it’s suited to delicate areas of the body.
I can definitely appreciate that this kit comes with pre and post care. First there is the oil that you use in advance. It’s been specially formulated to prepare and protect the skin, and since it’s lightweight, it makes the process more effective and effortless.
Secondly is the cooling gel that works to calm the skin after waxing. The combination of menthol, cucumber extracts, Aloe Vera, and Glycerine, create a refreshing feeling on the skin, which in turn reduces any redness.
With the new microwaveable formulation, it heats much quicker than usual. To accommodate to all areas, you get 30 applicators. 10 petite for very small parts, 10 small with accu-edges for crevices, and 10 large accu-edge for legs, chest, back, and so on.
- Hard Non-Strip Gentle Formula for Brazilian & Full-Body Waxing
- Eradicates Coarse & Stubborn Hairs from Delicate Areas
- Upgraded Microwave Formula Heats Up in Seconds
- Pre-Application Oil & Post Cooling Gel Included
6. Charmonic Nose Hair Wax Kit
For men and women, this kit is precisely designed for follicle-free nostrils using mini hard beads. The hard version is somewhat less painful than its soft counterpart, making it more efficient and comfortable than tweezing. It also produces a clean result in seconds, with hardly any follicles leftover. Uprooting all hairs in one swift action, it’s rapid and easy to use.
The SafeStick applicator is professionally designed to fit snug inside the nose, or you could even use it in the ears. I like the embossed logo element on the applicator, as it increases the friction on the handle so that it doesn’t slip when you pull it out.
There are 2 methods for melting. The first is microwaving it for 60-90 seconds, and the other is by using boiling water for around 2-3 minutes. After melting, simply insert and press in the nose and pull out after a couple of minutes.
You don’t need any warming pots or plates. It states that the results last for a month, however this does depend on how fast your hair grows.
- SafeStick Applicators Suitable for Nose & Ears
- Natural & Gentle Hard Wax with Soothing Beeswax & Aloe Extracts
- Simple Heating Process Using Microwave, Water & 2 Cups
- 10 Applications in One Box
7. iFanze Wax Warmer Kit
For the entire body, this is another simple-to-use set with a warmer, some wood applicators, and solid beads. Choose from 4 different infusions of lavender, aloe, chamomile, or blackcurrant, that are gentle to reduce irritation or harm to the skin. These beads are colored differently to prevent any mixing. Since the beads are firm, they’ll work best for epilating smaller areas and coarse hair, like in the armpits.
The design is very straightforward, making it hassle-free to use. A top transparent blue cover prevents dust and debris from entering, keeps a tight seal, and lets you watch the melting to prevent burning. 3 air holes perform as an exhaust to stop overheating.
The inner pot is completely removable, which makes cleaning a breeze, and it’s made of aluminium so it can withstand high temps. On the front is the intuitive dial, with medium and high settings. When the temperature reaches the highest level, it will turn off. Similarly, when it goes below 35° it will begin warming again.
Featuring 30 wood sticks, you’ll get quite a lot of use out of the kit. These sticks are quite wide, which is perfect for fast application as you won’t need to constantly dip back and forth. The beads have a low melting point, so you don’t have to wait a long time before the process.
- Heating Pot Holds 400ml with Hard Beans & 30 Sticks Included
- Compatible with Beans, Soft Wax, & Most Wax Pots
- Temperature Ranges from 35°C to 120°C
- Includes Bonus Aluminium Pot Chamber
8. Moom Organic Hair Removal Kit
Next is a fully natural kit consisting of just 4 organic ingredients: cane sugar, chamomile tea, lemon juice, and tea tree oil. This pure formula is developed to pamper the skin while epilating, leaving you hairless for up to 2 months depending on your growth. Kind of ironic, but it is completely wax-free, resin-free, and chemical-free, making it a similar method to sugaring.
I especially enjoy that this is cruelty free as it hasn’t been tested on animals. Another highlight is the inclusion of washable polycotton cloth strips, meaning they’re completely reusable. These strips have also been designed with precise adhesion, so pain levels are reduced.
Despite its calming formula that is made for delicate skin and areas, it’s also strong enough to pull out stubborn, thick follicles. It can be used on all body parts from the head to the feet. If you get any sticky residue left on the skin, the water-soluble element means you can rinse it right off with warm water.
Rather than a warming instrument, you can heat it up using a microwave. Another recommended technique is by placing the glass pot halfway in some boiling water, like a bain-marie, allowing it to soften enough to use.
- All Organic Ingredients Gently Removes Fine & Coarse Hair
- Ideal for Sensitive & Normal Skin Types
- Includes 18 Washable Fabric Strips & 8 Wood Applicators
- 170g Pot of 100% Natural Wax
9. Persian Cold Sugar-Based Wax Kit
Another all-over body formula, this is a sugar wax that is made to stick to solely hairs, rather than to the skin. This makes it less sore for some people. With 240ml of product, you’re getting quite a few uses out of it. 20 cloth strips and 2 wooden spatulas assists with streamlining the process. With a honey consistency, it lays gently on the skin and is easy to remove.
I think the packaging is a standout for this brand. It’s very sleek, giving off a sophisticated feel with a gorgeous black and gold tub. As it’s water soluble, you can simply rinse away the stickiness without the need for oils or alcohols.
There are 2 applicators that come with the pack. One is a regular long stick, and the other is more of a wide spatula with an hourglass shape. This makes applying a cinch, as you can cover big areas at a time.
In terms of ingredients, you’ve got a mix of natural sucrose, honey, citrus extracts, gum Arabic, and water. Ripping from the root, it should last around a month or a little longer depending individual growth patterns. It suits fine and medium hair, but may not be the best choice for anything thicker.
- Microwavable & Water Soluble for Easy Cleaning
- Aftercare Oil Included
- Natural Ingredients Suitable for Sensitive Skin
- 240ml of Wax Plus 20 Strips & 2 Spatulas
10. Waxkiss Home Hard Wax Beans
The beans in this kit perform just like regular compact beads, with the ability to use it on all parts of the body without any strips. It comes with just the beans, with the Waxkiss warming pot sold separately.
These beans have been formulated for delicate skin, where it remains quite flexible once it has dried on the skin. This means it won’t dry into rock-hard pieces, so it won’t hurt as much to rip off.
I believe that these beans work best when heated to a medium temperature. Too hot and it will be overly runny, creating a thin layer that is difficult to peel off. Too cool and it won’t spread properly. So, a medium heat looks like the sweet spot.
As well as removing stubble, the natural formulation makes the skin smooth after epilation. You can use it for both thin and thick hair, also for men’s waxing with extremely coarse follicles. It will keep hair away for at least 6 weeks depending on different people and growth spans.
They state that 300g is enough for half legs, which sounds about right considering it doesn’t require strips, so it needs a thicker application. You can leave it in the chamber and reheat it if you put too much and don’t use it all in one go.
- 300g of Hard Beans with Aloe Vera Infusion
- Natural Formula Designed for Sensitive Skin Types
- Intended for All-Body Use
- 8-10 Minute Fast Heating Time
How to Use a Hair Removal Wax Kit at Home
Most kits are quite simple to use with straightforward instructions that range across all brands, but it is important to check each manufacturer as there may be slight variations. Keep this in mind whilst reading the instructions below.
This is a basic process:
- Begin on clean, exfoliated skin.
- Place the beads in the chamber or leave the hot wax pot inside.
- Depending on the type of wax and heating method stated on the instructions, begin heating the warmer, increasing the temperature slowly.
- Continue stirring with an applicator until it has a thick honey-like consistency.
- Patch test on the back of your wrist to ensure it’s not too hot.
- Keep the heat on medium or low depending on the type of wax.
- Using a spatula/applicator, dip in the wax and twist it around the utensil to avoid putting residue on the sides of the equipment. This will make cleaning afterwards easier.
- Follow the epilation instructions depending on if it’s soft or hard.
- Turn off the power and leave leftover contents in the warmer for next time (up to a week).
- Ensure the lid is on tightly to keep it protected.
Know the Potential Side Effects
Like most things in life, there are potential side effects if wax isn’t used properly. If you experience any of these, then perhaps opt for epilation or laser hair removal, but most people are fine.
These are some things to look out for:
- Pain is probably the number one thing that puts people off, but it’s definitely something you can get used to. Also, with the proper techniques and pre and post care, pain can virtually become non-existent. It will vary on the type used (some people say hard wax is less painful), your skin sensitivity, tolerance of pain, amount of hair and length, and some areas may be more sensitive than others.
- Ingrown hairs or bumps can occur if you don’t remove it against the direction of follicle growth, or if you pull it off hesitantly and hairs break without being removed from their roots. Make sure you’re using the right methods, and you can put a balm, cream, or oil on after to prevent bumps.
- Reaction or irritation could be likened to redness, which is completely normal on most areas, like the face or underarms. If you’re sensitive or allergic to the ingredients in the wax, you may get irritation. Always check the ingredients and do a small patch test on the back of your arm beforehand.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Can I Use Hair Removal Wax?
Most types are formulated for use on all areas, like the bikini line, underarms, legs, arms, back, face, private areas, and even the toes, fingers, ears, and inside the nose.
This all depends on the type though, as you may need one that is suitable for sensitive parts of the body. Some can be too thick or harsh, which won’t work for the facial area.
Is Wax Safe to Use on my Private Areas?
It is completely safe, however there are a few things to consider:
- Hard wax is ideal for these areas.
- Ensure your hair is at around a ¼ of growth to reduce some pain.
- Pre-clean and dry thoroughly to help it grip.
- Test the temperature on your inner thigh before placing on any private sensitive areas.
- Work in sections and place in the direction of growth. Rip off in the opposite direction.
- Exfoliate for the next few weeks to prevent ingrown follicles and ensure to moisturize after each shower.
How Long Does It Take for Hair to Grow Back After Waxing?
The typical rate of growth after this process is around 4-6 weeks. However, this greatly depends on each individual. Your own growth cycle, hormones, and area of the body will massively impact how fast it takes for things to grow back.
How Do You Clean a Wax Warmer?
- Turn up the warmer on its highest setting to soften the wax completely.
- Use rubbing alcohol or a wax equipment cleaner and paper towel to scrub and take off any build-up on the sides of the pot and the inner chamber. This should ideally be done every time you use it. (TIP: You could also use the fabric, paper, or bonded fibre strips that you use for waxing your body to clean. DO NOT use tissue or cotton pads as the fibers will stick everywhere and be very difficult to clean)
- Save any remaining wax in a sterilized container if there was no contamination, and if it’s been less than a week.
- Turn the heat down so that it isn’t overly hot and unplug the power.
- Fold the paper towel (or strips) to make it thick and scoop out any wax.
- Be careful as the bowl may still be hot. Only touch it with the paper towel/strips.
- Once it’s cooled down, use rubbing alcohol again on the paper towel and wipe the bowl.
- Continue checking to ensure you’ve removed all residue traces and stickiness.
How Long Can I Leave Wax in a Warmer?
As long as you keep the lid on securely and in a dry, cool area away from sunlight, you can leave it in for up to a week. You can keep re-heating it as long as you are the only person using it, or you’ve used new applicators each time you’ve dipped.
Never leave a warmer on overnight, and never heat it without wax in the pot.
How Long Should Hair be to Wax?
Reaching a certain length makes it easier to pull it out from the root of the follicle. ¼ inch is the recommended length for the cleanest and most pain-free results.
Conclusion on Wax for Hair Removal
As a tried-and-true technique used by the masses for so many years, home waxing definitely has its benefits. You can save a lot of money than if you went to a pro, and formulas are much more advanced than in the past.
At home waxing kits make the process so much easier, as you’ve got all the elements needed right at your very fingertips. With different wax types and some formulated for sensitive skin, getting rid of those pesky hairs has never been easier.